Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mustard Seeds

As mentioned in my previous post, we have been a part of a Sunday School class called the Mustard Seeds. The name comes from a metaphor that Jesus used to describe the amount of faith that will yield incredible results.

"I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matt 17:20

Of course faith is a trust of confidence in something. But faith needs to have an object. For the believer the object of our faith is God and His son Jesus. What we are challenged to do is to have a simple trust and dependence in Him for the issues we face daily and with our eternity. We are challenged to believe that He is who He says He is and He will do what He has promised to do.

Jesus, as quoted in Matthew, is challenging us to grow in our belief and in our trust. The idea is that a very small amount of faith (faith the size of a mustard seed) will yield tremendous results.

So when I hear some bad news or things around me are changing and I can't do anything to change it then I can faith (believe and trust) that God is sovereign. Nothing escapes His attention. Not only that but I am His child and I am secure in Him.

Look at the mustard seed and know that faith as small a mustard seed can move mountains.


No comments: