Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Quick Trip to Texas

We traveled to Texas last weekend in order to spend a few days with Charlotte's dad, Arvol Willingham.
We had a great visit. I think he lives for the days when his daughters come to visit.

As an added treat it is bluebonnet season in Texas. Bluebonnets are all over the place on the sides of the roads. The bluebonnets last only a couple of weeks then they are gone for the season.
Indian Paintbrushes are also common at this time of the year.
Saturday, a half dozen horses wandered onto Arvol's property. It seems that they had gotten loose and were causing a traffic hazard on a nearby highway. The sheriff's deputy asked that we allow the horses to stay on the property until the owner came to get them.
One of our chores was to burn a pile of brush that had been accumulating for three years. I was getting nervous when the flames got so high. Fortunately, those flames died down within minutes so the fire did not get out of hand!
Arvol is a musician that plays the piano and the guitar. He has entertained groups with his music for many years.
I managed to pick up a straw hat at a local flea market so that I will be able to fit in when I travel in Texas. When I got home a neighbor said, "It looks very Reagonesque!"

But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God."
My times are in your hands; deliver me from my enemies and from those who pursue me.
Let your face shine on your servant; save me in your unfailing love.
How great is your goodness, which you have stored up for those who fear you, which you bestow in the sight of men on those who take refuge in you.
Psalm 31: 14-16, 19











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looked at all your blog today and enjoyed all the comments and the pictures. Great job.
Linda Dean

Jim Shearon said...

Wonderful pictures and commentary Jim. I do have a some questions. Did Arvol have a burning permit for the fire or a grazing permit for the horses? Probably not, but all understandable. Oh well, that's life and isn't it interesting how God just kind of drops things into your life? I think God was smiling at you, Charlotte and Arvol through it all.