Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Really Great Neighbors

I had some surgery two and a half weeks ago (hernia repair). The surgeon was very specific about not lifting anything heavier than ten pounds for two weeks. One week later we were waiting for a storm that would drop twelve inches of snow on Richmond. Ordinarily I would get out and clear the driveway, but not this time! In anticipation of the storm I called one of our neighbors to see if I could hire their sons to clear our driveway. Well the whole family showed up the next day to start the project!

Jeffrey worked hard on the project.

The snow was so dry and light that Robinette was able to use a leaf blower to clear the stairs that lead to our side door.

The next day, Jeff, another neighbor helped clear some of the crusted snow around the driveway apron.

A week later we had another five inches of snow on the ground. I started clearing away some of the snow and withing five minutes two families were politely pushing me to one side. Jeff (a different Jeff) Lee, Sue, Robinette, Jeffrey, Benjamin and Rudy the dog were all pitching in. It was awesome and I was grateful!

It really is good to have such good neighbors. It has always been hard to let people do things for me. One of the things my mother once told me was, "Jim, sometimes you need to let people be good to you." She was right.

Yet it was good of you to share in my troubles. ...Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to your account. I have received full payment and even more; I am amply supplied, now that I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God. And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 4: 14, 17-19
















No comments: