Friday, November 6, 2009

Food, Fellowship and Music

A few nights ago we joined our Sunday School class for dinner and a concert by the Richmond Pops and the US Army Chorus. You never know who you will see at the Strawberry Street Cafe, especially on the night after Halloween.



Wanda Billingsley and Lynn Morreau were catching up just before the concert started.

The Richmond Pops, an all volunteer organization, provided a concert of showtime and patriotic music.


The US Army Chorus joined the Richmond Pops. Their primary function is to provide music for foreign dignitaries that visit Washington, D.C.As we left Landmark Theater there were a couple of street musicians playing on plastic buckets, garbage cans and paint cans as if they were drums.


We enjoyed the evening. The music was top quality and enjoyable. We were commenting about the cultural leap from the Gospel Chicken House to the Richmond Pops. The Richmond Pops music is not my favorite any more than the Gospel Chicken House though I enjoyed it all.


The powerful drumbeat that the street musicians produced was energizing, and frankly I connected as much with the drum music than anything else. I enjoy most kinds of music but my favorites are contemporary worship music, followed by country western and then rock.



At the end of today's worship service at First Baptist Church, the Salzburg Baptist Church, Salzburg, Austria sang, "Center of My Joy." It was one of those songs that really connected with me. It was not just a song to enjoy, it spoke collectively to the entire congregation. They expressed in song what the congregation was feeling, it really became a prayer. That is worship!


My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing and make music with all my soul. Psalm 108:1





































































1 comment:

Duane said...

Hey, Jim!

Sure love your blog! I don't get back to it as often as I like but when I do- I read it all! You have a good life, Jim Riddell!