Saturday, October 3, 2009

West University Baptist Church

Last Sunday evening we had the chance to visit with a group of seniors from West University Baptist Church in Houston. West University is Charlotte's home church. I was ordained to the ministry there and we were married there. That church has been an important part of our lives! Ronnie Barner was the minister of music for many years. Charlotte was a part if his youth choir as a teenager. We were both members of the adult choir after we were married. Ronnie and the pastor LeRay Fowler were a dynamic ministry team. He now leads the seniors ministry.


Hollis Walt (foreground) was there. He told me that his wife of fifty years passed away earlier this year. Hollis operated an insurance business in Houston before retirement. I remember Hollis as one of those lay leaders that are critical to every church.

Connie Harper is a long term friend.

We met Randi Mullican on Sunday. She pointed out that she knew both my parents and Charlotte's parents. She was a part of Simonton Community Church where my father was pastor for seven years. She later moved into Houston and joined West University where she met Charlotte's parents.

Willeen Gutenburg, a member of West University, has been volunteering at the International Learning Center for several weeks. Her daughter serves in Europe with the IMB.

The Riddell's with Ronnie and Ruth Barner.

I have been a part of a number of churches. Each church was a special part of my pilgrimage in a different way. West University accepted me as a college student. Of course it was the the church that nurtured Charlotte as she started her walk of faith. It was the fellowship where we were married. The men and women of that church nurtured me as I entered the ministry. Men like Ronnie Barner and LeRay Fowler modeled ministry for me. The church set me aside for the Gospel Ministry. Charlotte and I left there so that I could go to seminary. I will always be thankful for the people and for their faithfulness and encouragement.


It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, to prepare God's people for works of service , so that the body of Christ may be built up. Ephesians 4:11-12







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved these pictures. Those were the good old days of Charlotte and I growing up. Thanks for sharing them.
Love,
Linda and Eddie